Thursday, August 14, 2014

The long path to Windows Phone

Ah the explosion of the phone!  I remember my first mobile phone - weighed 8 lbs and was hard wired into my car.  We have come a long way since then haven't we?  My own current history has included 3 iPhones then a progression to at least 3 Android phones, each of them a bit better than the last.  When I moved from iPhone to Android I remember missing a few features but felt it was justified to not be tied to iTunes and Apples control.  
I have just taken another phone venture leap by purchasing my first Windows Phone, a slick Nokia 635 for a 5th of the price of the new iPhone and every bit as comparable, except for one thing ... it runs Windows!  And the Windows 8.1 interface runs circles around the competition!
I read an article the other day about Steve Jobs and his affection for Picasso and the simplicity of design and he should think about getting a Windows phone because this new phone is exactly what I needed.  
Gone are the scads of icons cluttering up my brain, if I want to see all my 'icons' or programs I can slide once to get a clean, alphabetized, filterable list that is readable!  For the 5 or 6 programs I use daily - I have them in large active tiles on my first page and it makes up the fabric for the things that I am really interested in... I have the Active Fitness App - which keeps track of what I am doing, okay I have myFitnessPal too ... cause I love the way I can track food and exercise all in one place.  Then the other things that are important to me ... I have a 'People' app which ships with Windows and keeps me updated on my people (you know Linked In, Facebook, Skpe friends etc).  I have Mail (both gmail and exchange in little icons), Weather, Skype, Mint, Music,500px, driving app and bank app and you would have to see my screen to appreciate how uncomplicated it is.  Very clean and doesn't hurt your eyes like the iPhone and Androids interfaces.  The phone is fast, the software seamless (so far) and I love the voice recognition which is practically flawless.  Some of the other built-in features I appreciate - helping you keep track of your data usage, reminding you (if you want it to) when you are speeding and the live tiles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment